Plan ahead. The earlier you begin to prepare for transfer, the better. For a successful transfer to a four-year college or university, ECC recommends the following:
- Visit Academic and Transfer Advising Services where professional academic advisors can assist you with your educational choices and decisions.
- Choose a major. For assistance in choosing and/or confirming your major, make an appointment with a Career Development Specialist.
- Shop around. Attend college night where over 150 college representatives visit ECC’s campus.
- Examine all your options. Obtain and study catalogs and the website of the four-year colleges or universities you are considering. Become familiar with their entrance, graduation, and major requirements.
- Take a road trip. Visit the campuses of the schools you are considering.
- Compare information gathered on your transfer school options and make a decision on your transfer school.
- Create a transfer educational plan with your academic advisor and keep him or her informed of your transfer plans.
- Contact the admissions department of your transfer school. Maintain contact with your academic advisor at ECC and at your transfer school to ensure you are on the right path.
- Use the Academic Planning, Registration, and Payment Module on accessECC to track your progress toward completion.
- Complete your associate degree. At the beginning of your last semester at ECC, apply for graduation. Apply for your degree even if you do not plan to participate in the graduation ceremony; go to elgin.edu/graduation.
- Attend orientation at your new school. These orientations help ease the transfer process.
Consider taking GSD 120, Exploring Careers and College Majors, to investigate career choice, college majors, and choosing a transfer college or university.
- For more information, or to make an appointment with an Academic Advisor or Career Development Specialist, call the Student Success Center at 847-214-7390 or visit their web page elgin.edu/advising.